Friday 23 November 2012

Dates for ultrasound, renogram and GFR!


Why is it I wonder, why hospital receptionist don’t seem to be a particular happy bunch of people, rarely in my recent experience are they jolly folk who are happy and contented with their jobs. My most recent experience, this morning has amplified this notion, you see on Wednesday I received a couple of letters to contact the department of Nuclear Medicines to make appointments for a renogram and a GFR test, although why they didn’t just make the appointment and write to tell me, like all the other departments have done, is well, frankly beyond me.  Anyway, the weather was fairly clear and free from the horrendous downpours that have afflicted elsewhere, so I decided to cycle the six miles to the hospital, thinking that not only would I make my appointment in person at the department, but I’d also get some exercise at the same time.
Brighton's big wheel. Image from Sussex Police Helicopter


I arrived there, the department is in a rather shabby temporary building,  the waiting area was practically full and rather stuffy with no sign of a reception desk.  I spoke to one of the nurses,  who told me it was through this door,  which she knocked on and opened for me.   I waited for a few moments before an obviously put out lady asked if she could help me,  I entered the office,  saw two rather unsmiling ladies,  I informed the first lady that I had received a couple of letters and wanted to make those appointments if that was possible,   “Well,  it’s not!” was her blunt reply,  no apology at all, just that they don’t make appointments for people in person, just over the telephone. I studied the letters carefully and nowhere in them did it say making appointments in person was prohibited and jolly well unwelcome. I wish it blooming well had, for that would have saved me a twelve mile round-trip bicycle ride and a load of aggravation.  The reason the receptionist or appointment maker gave for this odd state of affairs is that she’s too busy making appointments to make appointments! Everything seemed to be too much effort to do it in person, although had I called, of course, I would have also taken up just the same amount, if not more time, so the logic of not having the time to make appointments seems slightly warped to say the least.  Oh and while I was in the office and during the time I spent in the department, not once did I hear her phone ring!  It was all rather annoying, but more than that it was upsetting, it was the first time in this whole journey to become a living kidney donor that I wondered if it was all worth it.  I mean, I didn't need this aggravation, it’s not like I have to have these tests for the benefit of my health, to make me better or anything, in fact having small amounts of radioactive material injected into my veins could be seen as being ever so slightly detrimental to my health. I know it’s only a small amount, but you know what I mean. I really felt like telling her this,  but of course I didn't  frustrated I may have been but I thanked her for her help. Anyway the appointments have now been made and another few steps on this journey have been made.

I'm having the renogram MAG examination first thing in the morning in a fortnights time and then right after that, on the same day I’ll be undergoing the four hour glomerular filtration rate tests.  I’ll have to wait almost another couple of weeks before I have a full ultrasound examination of the kidneys and urinary tract to provide pictures showing their size, shape and structure of my kidneys. Apparently I've got to drink at least two pints and have a full bladder before for the ultrasound, plus I’m not allowed to have a pee in the hour preceding it, gosh at the end of it I’ll be at bursting point! 

No comments: