Friday 9 November 2012

Second Appointment


Second appointment and results briefing.


It was beautifully clear this morning as I set off on my bicycle heading towards the multitude of buildings in Kemp Town known affectionately and jointly as The Royal Sussex County Hospital.   I thought I’d snap a couple of photos to illustrate the various different architectures employed at this mammoth site of care giving, hopefully you’ll like them.  Anyway,  thankfully Caroline, the coordinating Sister had scheduled my appointment for a lovely and Jason friendly noon, so my morning was fairly gentle and  relaxed,  long hot shower,  play along with ’Pop Master’ on Radio Two after which I read a chapter of one of the current books on my nightstand.




The ride in was uneventful and rather pleasant mainly,  as I said earlier the weather was beautifully clear and luckily the wind was at my back which almost pushed me along the prom without the need for peddling. From my vantage point along the prom, the sea looked as calm and gentle as a millpond and I almost felt like riding down, stripping off and going for a paddle.  Obviously I didn’t,  it make have been rather mild for the time of year,  but it needs to be a good deal hotter before I get my kit off!  I took some photos of the buildings and then headed in and announced my arrival to the camp receptionist, who was having a bad day and he didn’t care who knew it.   I waited about fifteen minutes before Caroline came for me,   it was good to see her and once we were ensconced in her office, which rather oddly, due to a step hill, looks like it is at ground level, with a view of the grass and path, despite being up on the eighth floor!  

The main reason for this appointment was to give me feedback from the battery of tests undertaken last Tuesday, there were a few other questions that she had to explore with me as well.  Carefully and considerately she showed me the results from my blood tests and my urine tests, which were all relatively good,  clear with the exception of showing antibodies for cytomegalovirus or CMV for short and antibodies for Epstein-Barr (glandular fever).  Both nothing to worry about,  it’s estimated that over half the population are infected with CMV and have no idea about it.  My cholesterol level is slightly higher that ideal, which itself is not a major problem, but it will come down as I eat less fried foods and sadly fewer cheesecakes which will also help me loose perhaps a stone in weight during the next few months.

The ECG test last week indicated the old ticker is working in perfect sinus rhythm (normal) and the x-ray of my chest showed a couple of normal looking lungs and proved once and for all that my hearts in the right place.   Once all the test results were given and explained, with everything being good,  Caroline then had to ask some personal questions regarding my sex life and that sort of thing,  all procedural, routine  and not unexpected.  Although rather kindly she did offer of the option for me to see a male doctor if I wanted to, in case I was embarrassed talking to a female about such things.  Now,  you know me,  I don’t embarrass easily so was happy to discuss my sex life or lack there of, honestly and frankly and all is well there,  so that’s another few boxes checked and another step taken.

In a few weeks time I’ll be back at the hospital for an ultrasound, CT, MRI scans and more assessments, and tests,  one of the tests, I was forewarned will take around four hours.  I’ll have to take my Kindle along for that one and they’d better give me a cuppa and a biscuit, or I wont be a a happy bunny.  There is still an awful long way to go, but every step is a step forward, which is a good thing indeed.

 

2 comments:

Give a Kidney - one's enough said...

Great blog - we look forward to following you. Have you seen our website: giveakidney.org?

Donor Diary said...

Thanks so much, yes I have seen your wonderful site, it is packed with great information and advice.