Thursday 13 December 2012

Why a stranger




Since I started this journey to become a living kidney donor I've been asked more than a few times why I've chosen the altruistic route in donating to a stranger.  It is a good question and something I've thought a lot about,  I suppose, honestly, the first and perhaps the biggest reason why I'm donating to a stranger that I’ll almost certainly never meet is that I don’t personally know anyone suffering with any form of kidney problems that would require a transplant!

Secondly,  how would I choose who to donate to?  Sure there are a few various websites where those with kidney failure write about themselves and   appeal for an organ. I've read those appeals and readily admit to being in floods of tears before getting to the end of the numerous appeals. Many paint such heart achingly sad pictures that  I wish I had multiple kidneys in order to give them all one I could give them all one. Then of course, wouldn't other things come into play regarding the decision, like age or background, perhaps personality or potential. I know we all say were not judgemental but in that situation that’s exactly what I’d have to be, judgemental, judging people on what they say, what they do, on the lives they've had and yet to have. Of course,  if I could get over that,  then there is the medical aspect, I'm not a nephrologist -  that’s a kidney doctor,  nor do I have any medical qualifications or training so how could I possibly choose, I wouldn't have a clue as to who would be most deserving,  most in need,  who wouldn't live without a transplant. I don’t want to and nor am I able to make decision of who lives and who, well perhaps doesn't   Would you want to make that sort of decision?

Thirdly, with altruistic donation there is little danger of emotion getting in the way,  there is no added pressure of seeing a loved one so ill,  or so in need.  There would be no resentful feelings toward the recipient should they perhaps have one or two drinks more than I might consider appropriate or so on and so forth.  I fact, thinking about it,  I’ve got it easy,  those that donate to a family member or a personal friend have a whole host of other worries and concerns that I escape.

And lastly, why not a stranger? People do nice things for strangers every hour of every day in some way and this is no different. I can do something wonderful,  I can save a life by donating one of my kidneys, so does it really matter if that life is someone I know or someone I’ll never know? 


More soon.

Next test is an ultrasound of my kidneys next week.

No comments: